OKC Realtors: How to Safely String up Christmas lights
Christmas is fast approaching, and that means Christmas Decorations are out in full swing! You may be feeling the urge to get those lights set up. For most people, lights are a big part of their decorations. It’s important however, to follow some important safety rules when putting up these gorgeous decorations. Aside from Christmas tree lighting fiascos, outside lighting issues cause hundreds of severe tragedies on an annual basis from improper hanging? The first thing you should do is test your lights to make sure they work, even before you hang them up. A burning house isn’t anyone’s idea of a christmas miracle. OKC Realtors has a few more tips to help you decorate safely.
- Follow Instructions. Not hard to do and can save you a not-so-happy accident!
- Make sure the lights are plugged into a plug with a ground fault circuit (GFCI).
- Don’t hang lights with sharp fasteners. (Nails, Staples, Hooks, etc.)
- Never use cloth or paper as a cover
- Never use a frayed or damaged cord.
- Additionally, never use cracked or broken bulbs and sockets.
- Check to make sure the lights are designed for outdoor use.
- Check your extension cords are fray free and that they can handle the load you put on them.
- Again, make sure those extension cords are plugged into a GFCI outlet.
- Replace any lights that go out.
In addition, keeping the lights unplugged until you have them all strung is the safest bet. If you’re planning on hanging your own lights our realtors would encourage you to keep ladder safety in mind as well. Our OKC realtors advise on using a good, sturdy ladder and make sure it’s on level ground before you start climbing up to the roof! It might not hurt to have a helper so you don’t have to climb up and down the ladder too much.
Additionally, keep the lights unplugged until you have them all strung up. It’s the safest way to hang them! If you plan to hand your own lights OKC Realtors would also encourage proper ladder safety. OKC Realtors advise on using good, sturdy step-ladder and make sure to place it on level, steady ground. It also helps to have a helper hold the ladder while you climb up.
Our OKC Realtors love Christmas lights as much as you do, but they’re not worth risking an accident. On behalf of our realtors at Metro First Realty, we wish you a safe and happy holiday season!